Tuesday, May 27, 2014

The Quilted Skein

Inside The Quilted Skein
Beautiful quilt fabric on the left, fabulous fiber on the right and located next door to the Texas Quilt museum, can it get any better?  Yes, a big worktable in the back where there is more fabric and very nice staff.  The Quilted Skein is located, as I said, next door to the Texas Quilt Museum in LaGrange Texas, which I wrote about in a previous post.  We are "on the road again" in our RV and the name caught my eye when I "googled" yarn stores in the area.  It really is both a quilt fabric store and a yarn store.  The fabric selection is fairly extensive and a nice quality.  I often use my grandmother's black dirt celery farm at Bajor Lane as an inspiration, so I am always looking for black and green fabric.  I bought a yard of black fabric with rows of green dots (great "farm" fabric) and it was $10.95/yard.  The yarn selection is not quite as extensive but they had some really nice yarns.  After looking for yarn in the valley (Rio Grande Valley) it is nice to see yarns other than the "big box" selections (Hobby Lobby, Michaels, etc).  I bought the sale yarn (always the bargain hunter) at 40% off.  It was Cestari's Island Collection a mix of 67% cotton, 25% wool and 8% silk (100gms - 230 yds)  and I am planning to use it in a Tunisian crochet scarf.  Of course that could change as I swatch it up to see what it looks like.  I just started playing around with it using a stitch from Dora Ohrenstein's book The New Tunisian Crochet.  She has many stitch examples, so I will see what works with this yarn.  I would have spent much more time in the store but my hubby was waiting in the car.  This is a definite stop for all who visit the Texas Quilt Museum.


The Quilted Skein

No comments:

Post a Comment